Saturday, April 29, 2006

Debian Hurd - GNU Mach up and running

EUREKA!! Finally, my infactuation on running a micro kernel on my system worked out well. I've installed the Debian Hurd - the true GNU system with GNU Mach kernel and its up and running at home. So, no Hurd now at office, planning to use the 10G available there for someother experiment. Moreover, no progressive dreams, im still on my Debian box while writing this post.

Here is a small HowTo on Debian Hurd installation:

  1. Hold your patience.
  2. Make a partition on your disk free.
  3. If you have the grub installed in the box, it'll be helpful.
  4. Time to read the fine manual (RTFM) here: Debian Hurd - Installation
  5. Learn about Hurd here: GNU Hurd

Above all, the GNU Hurd comes with 'Nano' and no browser support. FTP SEGFAULTS at times. But its a good experience working with it. Found 'gcc' to be missing with the base installation. This made me a bit annoyed, but, no matter as far as the internet is there. Will have to grab a package and install. Planning to port few packages to GNU Hurd. The next target would be to 'ping' 'Google' and get a positive response from my GNU Hurd box.

No comments: